A Very Unique Take On Writer’s Block

I have an online friend from Lithuania.

Tomas Karkalas. Tomas

He’s an excellent photographic artist.

English is not his first language and some may find his writing hard to understand but I find it particularly Poetic—his use of English is not “wrong”—it’s Unique

I encourage your visiting his blogs:

Modus Vivendi

Art of Butterfly in Plaster

Art by Tomasportrait of my street by Tomas Karkalas from Klaipeda, Lithuania

But I want to reproduce, with his permission, the article, How to overcome the writer’s block:

“How to overcome the writer’s block puzzles many. So I dared to share my experience with you. When the world’s events look unpredictable and force us to dive into the guessing for the future I did not give in but look for my dictionary. I start writing in a foreign language.

“The difference between the phrases ‘I did not’ and ‘I do not’, for example, becomes just the healing experience then. Becomes something I am able to discover and claim for sure. The lack of self-confidence vanish from sight, the credibility gab disappears from view. My Lithuanian-English dictionary thus puts me into the gratitude. I know nothing more fruitful than the hearty Thank you.”

I would love to hear some of your interpretations of his unique view :-)

Don’t be shy—you can’t be “wrong”—do, please, share in the Commentsespecially if Tomas’ words give you a unique insight into breaking out of the cramp of writer’s block.
* Google Author Page

Select as many as you like:

6 responses to “A Very Unique Take On Writer’s Block

1. Martina Sevecke-Pohlen July 2, 2013 at 4:02 am

I have no experience of writer’s block but when I read your post I was reminded of a phase many years ago when I wrote in English. I’m not exactly sure why I did this. I think there was less restraint in the “other” language and a strange joy of using new words. Some of my students later told me they were able to speak about certain subjects in German which were prohibited in their native languages. So maybe when changing languages we are able to Switch into different mind sets. This would explain why Tomas Karkalas can overcome writer’s block when he is writing in English.

• Alexander M Zoltai July 2, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Thank you, Martina, for reinforcing Tomas’ idea. Perhaps it can be even further extended

Changing the mind-set is a general purpose method for leveraging yourself out of writer’s block?

I, too, don’t experience this malady but then I don’t write this blog for just myself :-)

2. Barbara Blackcinder July 2, 2013 at 8:16 am

I know no other language, but am always fascinated with foreign words, the sound, the way they roll off the tongue, etc. This sounds like an excellent idea, and probably a good excuse or even a method, to learning another language.

• Alexander M Zoltai July 2, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Aha, Barbara!!

Perhaps even the effort to learn another language (even if one doesn’t become fluent) would guard against writer’s block?

3. Sonia G Medeiros July 2, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I love the idea of writing in a different language. When I’m blocked, I try writing in a different medium. Computer, longhand, on my phone, with a pencil or with a pen. It usually helps get me unstuck again. I guess it’s similar to going to a different language.

• Alexander M Zoltai July 2, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Yes, Sonia, I think the principle does carry over to other methods—perhaps even writing out loud with one’s mouth and a recorder?