All About Libraries . . .

Why would the the inner bark of trees be important to readers, writers, and publishers?

Check out this etymology of the word library:

place for books, late 14c., from Anglo-French librarie, Old French librairie “collection of books” (14c.), noun use of adj. librarius “concerning books,” from Latin librarium “chest for books,” from liber (genitive libri) “book, paper, parchment,” originally “the inner bark of trees,” probably a derivative of PIE root *leub(h)- “to strip, to peel” (see “leaf”). The equivalent word in most Romance languages now means “bookseller’s shop.” Old English had bochord, literally “book hord.”

I actually haven’t written as much about libraries as I’d like to

Today is a beginning for rectifying that :-)

You can find all the posts about libraries by using the Top Tags widget in the left side-bar; but, I do want to call your attention to four particular ones:

So, What Are Libraries Good For, Now That So Many People Use the Internet?

The E-Book Wars & Your Public Library . . .

Publisher Helps Local Libraries Become Community Publishers !

A Place Called LibraryThing ~ A Space To Have A Love Affair With Books

Long before I started calling myself a writer, I had a part-time job at my local library as a Page.

The best part of the job was being able to go to the “stacks” where mere patrons were forbidden

In case you haven’t noticed, libraries are hurting for money and applying massive amounts of creativity to stay “relevant”

Do you have any particularly fond memories of a library?

Do you think the local library will disappear?

Do you have an extensive home library?

Have you ever traveled more than one hundred miles to visit a special library?

Do you have any idea how old public libraries are?

Do you have any overdue books in your home right now?

By the way, if you have a unique local library, do let me know in the Comments—I can collect names and do a special blog post :-)

And, to remind ourselves that libraries can be FUN, here’s the description of this post’s library video:

“The Seattle Public Library launched the 2013 Summer Reading Program by setting a new world record for the longest book domino chain!

“The books used to make this domino chain were either donated or are out of date and no longer in the library’s collection. They are now being sold by the Friends of Seattle Public Library to help raise money for library programs and services.

“No books were harmed during the filming of this video.”

* Google Author Page

Select as many as you like:

12 responses to “All About Libraries . . .

1. deadeyescribe June 25, 2013 at 8:30 am

A new series of posts on libraries, Alexander? Of course I’m excited about that!

I visited the Library of Congress in Washington, DC once. It was way bigger than my local Prairie Library!

• Alexander M Zoltai June 25, 2013 at 10:14 am

Well, not so much a series as a scattered collection :-)

I’m just going to work to do more of them more often

And, the first library on my list for the Special Post called, My Readers’ Memorable Libraries, USA Library of Congress.

Care to share the name of your local Prairie Library?

• deadeyescribe June 25, 2013 at 10:43 am

It’s called the Prairie Library and it’s only somewhat local to me. I’m a bit more familiar with my local library here in Deadeye. Hope it will make your list, Alexander. I think it should for many reasons.

For one, outside the Deadeye Library is a horse hitching post at the curb. (I have a photograph.) Maybe it’s just me, but I doubt there’s another library in the country where I could ride my pony to the library and have a place to park her while I went in.

• Alexander M Zoltai June 25, 2013 at 10:49 am

Ya know, Simone, I’m almost dying from anticipation of coming out to visit Deadeye………

• deadeyescribe June 25, 2013 at 11:23 am

Apologies for the delay, Alexander. Lambing season kept me busier than ever this year – another thirty of those little guys to move to summer pasture now…you know how that goes. Incredibly, next week I should be freed up, shall we plan for a visit then?

• Alexander M Zoltai June 25, 2013 at 11:31 am

Whenever you say

I’ll bring my boots :-)

• deadeyescribe June 25, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I was going to remind you to bring your boots. You’ll definitely need those! ;-)

• Alexander M Zoltai June 25, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Anything else I won’t be able to do without??

• deadeyescribe June 25, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I can’t think of anything. You’re aware we don’t have many of the comforts like they have in the eastern part of the U.S. where you live. I think you’ll be all right!

• Alexander M Zoltai June 25, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Yes, I’m prepared for Zen-ing it :-)

2. Jane Watson June 26, 2013 at 8:00 am

To shift the focus slightly (although I too am fascinated by Deadeye’s library – do you have a picture? ) Alberto Manguel has written a wonderful book about setting up a library at home – ‘The Library At Night’. He began to create a library in his home in France in the Loire Valley and ended up writing a book which has been called ‘a meditation on the meaning of libraries..’ Here is a quote from the book:

“In the dark, with the windows lit and the rows of books glittering, the library is a closed space, a universe of self-serving rules that pretend to replace or translate those of the shapeless universe beyond. ”
    ― Alberto Manguel, The Library at Night

• Alexander M Zoltai June 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm

And, here’s a link to that book