Do You Keep A Journal?

Some writers never journal—some journal more than any other type of writing

Some who journal use computer programs, some paper, some on scraps, some in costly blank books

And, some writers just do it in their minds :-)

I found a site that really drills down on the whole journaling experience—Shack’s Comings and Goings.

In fact, the site is still working on filling out an extremely ambitious outline of journal topics—check out Journaling for Creativity {scroll down a bit for the outline [notice how some of the topics aren't yet links...]}.

On that page they say:

“Creative journaling is a close sibling of personal journaling; you may even consider them to be twins, but not identical twins. These twins look and walk quite differently, they engage you quite differently, they reason quite differently.”

“Personal journaling tends to be mostly introspective and inwardly focused. Pages are filled with reflective notes on a day’s actions and thoughts about the writer’s passage through them. Other times they may be populated with pensive predictions about tomorrow’s actions….

“The focus of creativity journaling is outwards. A part of a creativity journal will always be about personal awareness, personal growth, personal thoughts, but we are so incredibly small compared to the massive world around us and the journal reflects this. The journal is filled from the enormous world around us. Filled by being aware and looking for the seen and the unseen, the why and the why not, the ‘what was’ and the ‘what will be’ that surrounds us all.”

Within that massive outline is the topic The 24 types of journal entry when Journaling for Creativity and within that section they say:

“When looking down the list, you may think that some types of entry appear to be a complete journaling topic all on their own. This is in fact true, but we are not stand-offish; any journaling practice that feeds, assists and develops the creative-mind is likely to be rounded up and corralled into our journaling for creativity stables.”

I, personally, have tried all kinds of journaling but have yet to find one that works with my writing life

I do, however, realize that many folks swear by journaling—wouldn’t ever stop—treasure the results.

So, if your not sure you should journal or if you’ve been using the same journaling style for a long time, do go check out this site :-)
* Google Author Page

Select as many as you like:

9 responses to “Do You Keep A Journal?

1. penpusherpen June 18, 2013 at 7:51 am

a friend gave me a book, journal wise, to fill in every day with anything that caught my interest, , and I started with sincere intent, for a few months I filled the empty pages , but then one day missed turned into months and now… I hardly remember to put pen to paper. Years ago I used to blog about my day, (instead of the poems I try to do now) anything and everything that came to mind, and so many were interested, it made me wonder why. but seems I’ve lost track with sharing my thoughts other than rhyme wise. Interesting blog Alexander,. made me think outside the box for a while xPenx

• andyshack June 18, 2013 at 11:13 am

Pen, just a question; did you ever read your journal to rediscover the interesting things you recorded?
      If your creative journal is a joy to read (one maybe only you could appreciate) then you will be more inclined to covert it and the time spent with it.

If however it resembles a list of facts, it will be as entertaining as a shopping list and as easily forgotten.

But in the end writing (art) must be the master and journaling for creativity naught but a useful tool.

• penpusherpen June 18, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I haven’t looked at it for quite a while,Andy, for the friend who gifted me it, thought I’d fill it with romantic outpourings that we’d view together in future years, things didn’t turn out the way he thought, strange how many plans go awry. I now record my days/ideas/thoughts in poetic form on my WordPress blog and that’s how I use my gift (if that it be) . So many on here are gifted/talented people, sharing their dreams/thoughts/aspirations/ideal/every day life for those lucky enough to drop by and read. Methinks this World of writing is one that enthralls and excites, every single day and with every stroke of the ‘Pen’ x

• Alexander M Zoltai June 18, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Outside the Box is very, very Good, pen :-)

2. andyshack June 18, 2013 at 8:02 am

Thank you Alexander for the lovely introduction to our site, it really made my day when I read it and we have already had some visitors because of your kind words.

Wishing the very best to you and yours, Andy

PS: Later in the series there is a section “What Goes Wrong” and since you have tried many forms of journaling and never found a fit, I would love to chat with you about the issues you have experienced for that section.

• Alexander M Zoltai June 18, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Ah, yes—email me, Andy, and we can chat about that :-)

Perhaps I could interview you sometime on this blog, too?

• andyshack June 18, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Fantastic! Love to do a interview, though I must warn you I might harp on long and loud about feeding creativity. I will send an e-mail and we can start a dialogue.

• Alexander M Zoltai June 18, 2013 at 7:00 pm