Someone At Amazon Coined A Word ~ Did They Break A Writing Rule ?

Omnivoracious isn’t in my Oxford or Wordnik dictionaries.

It’s a portmanteau word—“…blending the sound of two different words…coined by Lewis Carroll for the sort of words he invented…”.

I’ll float a meaning: ragingly hungry for everything

And, it’s the title of Amazon’s reading blog.

Then there’s Susan J. Morris: “a freelance fantasy author, editor, and weekly writing advice columnist for Amazon’s Omnivoracious blog.” Her writing advice column is called Writers Don’t Cry. Her personal blog is called Serious Pixie.

One of her recent posts, Long Live Adverbs: An Ode to Rebellious Writers, was a delightful read so I’ll bring on the excerpts:

“When I went searching the internet for the world’s most important writing rules, I came up with a can full of assault worms primed for combat.”

“What writer could hope to write a book that adhered to every last literary law?”

“Fortunately, writers are not known for coloring between the lines.”

Then Susan sprinkles her pixie dust on describing Passive Voice, Sentence Fragments, and Adverbs.

The beginning of her summation: “Knowing when—and how—to break rules is an important, empowering, and playful step for all writers.”

Are you, like me, a Writing Maverick?

Do you know the “rules” well enough to break them intelligently?

Is considering writing rules like pausing at traffic lights or wearing a chastity belt?

Care to share an example of a rule you broke??
* Google Author Page

6 responses to “Someone At Amazon Coined A Word ~ Did They Break A Writing Rule ?

1. Jonathan Dalar July 17, 2012 at 11:23 am

That is the perfect example of a portmanteau word – exactly what that sort of word is supposed to encompass.

• Alexander M Zoltai July 17, 2012 at 11:28 am

I totally agree, Jonathan :-)

2. martinaseveckepohlen July 18, 2012 at 3:07 am

Yesterday evening, I spent 20 minutes searching amazon.de for a “blog”. No trace. I once unearthed a linklist mentioned in an American blog well hidden in the German amazon menue but it seems there are no blogs. Oh well, I will wait five years …

• Alexander M Zoltai July 18, 2012 at 8:27 am

Let me understand, Martina—you wanted to find the Omnivoracious blog in German?

• martinaseveckepohlen July 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

No, I wanted to see if there are amazon blogs in German. Amazon marketplaces often differ from country to country, some services exist only in the USA, some only in English speaking countries. Sometimes rather strange things happen. When I published my ebook on KDP I received a link to amazon.com. There was my ebook with Look Inside activated. On the German site it took almost a week before Look Inside was active. Once I followed a link from an Australian site to amazon. I didn’t think about it, but when I was logged in I was referred to the German amazon where I had to log in again. The next time I had a look at amazon in the USA I found I was still logged in.

• Alexander M Zoltai July 18, 2012 at 9:57 am

Martina,

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I’ve found that many sites can track one’s journeys around the web

In fact, Mozilla has an add-on for the Firefox browser, Collusion, that lets you see these activities