Authors Promoting Each Other by Interviewing Each Other

If you’re a writer who treads the frontier of self-publishing, finding unique but viable forms of promotion can be a challenge.

This is an area of the “business” of writing that calls on the creativity and sociability of an author.

I was chatting with two authors at a birthday celebration last night and we were playing with a possible slogan for use when sharing advice—Read, Write, Make Friends.

It’s possible to have a very productive writing life doing those three activities intensively.

I interviewed my friend Angela Yuriko Smith back in May.

She interviewed me yesterday :-)

We interview each other, we share links on our blogs to each others interviews, and we help each other in our promotion of our work.

Also, Angela and I have both found making friends on Book Island in the virtual world Second Life is a great way to promote our writing.

In fact, that’s how Angela and I met :-)

If you’re a writer, how do you use making friends as a component of your promotion?

If you’re a reader, have you made friends with a writer then promoted them?

If you’re a publisher, how is friendship part of your business?

7 responses to “Authors Promoting Each Other by Interviewing Each Other

1. Simone Benedict June 20, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thank you for letting us know you were interviewed, Alexander. And for sharing your thoughts about promotion over at Ms Smith’s blog. I like the slogan you and your friends came up with. It does seem I tend to make friends more easily with those who are interested in relationship building than the “shameless self-promoters.” A little bit of that goes a long way, imo.

• Alexander M Zoltai June 20, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Yes, Simone, a Long way………

2. janedarntonwatson June 20, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Yes, thank you, Alex, for sharing Angela’s interview with us. I particularly like Angela’s comment: “Some people think outside the box… Alexander thinks outside the room.” I also like your advice for authors: “Don’t give up”. I totally agree. Writing is a life test… giving up usually doesn’t work that well.
    Now in the interest of friendship and our new motto, Read, Write, Make Friends, I am going over to Angela’s blog to catch up and say hello :-)

• Alexander M Zoltai June 20, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Absolutely Love it, Jane: “Writing is a life test…”

3. Anne Sanders June 26, 2012 at 9:35 am

Just finished my first book and am going into the editing process. This is such a great idea. I know Angela Y. Smith and she is such a wonderful writer. Thanks for interviewing her!

• Alexander M Zoltai June 26, 2012 at 11:07 am

Congratulations on Finishing, Anne :-)

Do you know Angela from Second Life?

4. Pingback: The Connected Writer « Notes from An Alien