Let’s Go To The Library

I’m not sure at what age folks start to forget that libraries can still be cool places.

Some young people may never have known what a library can do.

Some older folk may bemoan the way certain libraries are struggling.

No doubt we’re going through a major transformation of the Book World and no doubt many libraries are foundering.

But

Many libraries are rediscovering themselves, integrating new tech, and forging ahead.

I went searching my archives here and surprised myself—I have 7 other posts here about libraries:

Getting Self-Published Books Into Libraries

Little Libraries Spreading All Over :-)

E-books & Libraries of The Future . . .

E-Books, Libraries, and An Experiment In Blogging

Libraries Weathering The Storm In Publishing

Been To Your Local Library Lately?

Kids, Libraries, and Book Reviews…

And, this is library post #8 :-)

I saw an article over at BoingBoing that featured the Douglas County libraries in Colorado in the U.S.

They’ve worked with over 800 publishers to integrate their books into the library and this video shows how they’ve modernized themselves into our digital age:

7 responses to “Let’s Go To The Library

1. Simone Benedict May 23, 2012 at 10:44 am

Wow!!! Thanks for this post Alexander. Amazing. I’ll have to make plans to check out the Douglas Co libraries the next time I’m visiting there. I’m especially tickled as my local library still has a rotary phone. :-)

• Alexander M Zoltai May 23, 2012 at 11:02 am

Rotary phone???

Whew

So, Simone, do you visit Colorado often?

2. Simone Benedict May 23, 2012 at 11:25 am

Haha, I give anyone credit who has the patience to dial on a rotary phone these days.

The border is minutes away from me, but Douglas Co is several hours. I haven’t been that far into Colorado since last Fall. It’s shockingly beautiful in parts of that area, but I don’t think I’ve ever visited the library system. Now I have a reason to!

• Alexander M Zoltai May 23, 2012 at 11:30 am

Well, Simone, perhaps, when you go, you could be a roving reporter for this blog??

• Simone Benedict May 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

I’d be delighted, Alexander!

3. Angela Yuriko Smith May 23, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I love the library! I’m always amazed that it’s all free… books, air conditioning and even DVDs. Ben Franklin was a smart cookie to think of it…

• Alexander M Zoltai May 23, 2012 at 9:18 pm