Choosing To Self-Publish ~ Lots of Help . . .

Some folks still think self-publishing is somehow not “real” publishing.

Yet, many who’ve been published traditionally are embracing the benefits of self-publishing.

And, there are those who find advantages in both paths and maintain a base in both camps.

If you’ve considered exploring self-publishing you’d be hard put to find a single site that has as much info and guidance as Publetariat, founded by April L. Hamilton.

They claim they’re, “…an online community and news hub built specifically for indie authors and small, independent imprints.”

They even say they’re not really geared toward those just starting out, but………

They have Forums and one of the first categories is “Absolute Beginners ~ There’s no such thing as a dumb question here” :-)

They have News from sources like: Guardian UK-Books, NPR, Slate-Books, New York Times-Books, Publishers Weekly, Bookslut, Galleycat, and Salon-Books.

And, looking at the second link in the Menu right below their banner is Think—lots of opinion pieces.

Then comes Choose: “Reviews of books, products and services relevant to indie authorship and publishing”.

Next is Write, another section with Lots of articles, on the Craft.

Design: “…layout, typography, cover design, website design, ad design, design tools.”

Then, another category with Loads of articles—Publish.

Yet more Oodles of articles with Sell—marketing, promotion, and contests.

How about, “Planning, forming and running your own Imprint“?

They also have a section with their own Tax Expert, Julian Block, called Business End.

Finally is Book Trends, a cross-posting of articles from Indie bookstore owner Bob Spears.

I’ve self-published four books but only promoted one.

I’ve known about Publetariat for quite awhile but will still be exploring it far into the future

Do you have any sites about self-publishing to recommend?

9 responses to “Choosing To Self-Publish ~ Lots of Help . . .

1. Simone Benedict May 7, 2012 at 11:34 am

I will check these out, Alexander. Also, here you mention beginning writers. I was asked if I knew of any good online writing groups. Unfortunately I don’t, but thought if you had info on them I could pass it along to her.

• Alexander M Zoltai May 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

Simone, when I started this blog, I was a published writer; and, your question makes me need to do some research and find some good writing communities, even though I don’t hang out in such places :-)

2. Simone Benedict May 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Thanks, Alexander. :-)

3. Mollie Player May 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Great resource! Thanks!

• Alexander M Zoltai May 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm

You are Very welcome, Mollie :-)

4. martinaseveckepohlen May 8, 2012 at 2:11 am

http://mickrooney.blogspot.de/ is useful, too, but when I started out I spent hours reading Joel Friedlander who is on your blogroll. A lot of authors are afraid of the business side of self-publishing, anything to do with taxes and official forms makes them want to run away. There is a lot of half or quarter knowledge in forums (the KDP-forum in Germany is downright dangerous in anything financial) that could cause problems. Sadly, these most important questions have different answers, depending on the author lives.
    Alexander, I read year 2008 of your blogbooker, I’m deeply moved. Thank you for sharing such personal thoughts.

• Alexander M Zoltai May 8, 2012 at 8:41 am

Martina,

Thanks, So much, for your comments and suggestions and warnings

And, thanks for taking the time to read my old blog………

5. Pingback: Writer’s Communities ~ What Are Your Favorites? « Notes from An Alien

6. Pingback: The Jerry Maguire Moment: What is your blog’s mission statement? | Chazz Writes