Poetry That Just Might Knock Your Socks Off . . .

Very Special Discount Code for Readers, Writers, and Publishers

You might know me as the guy who’s published a novel and is working on a short story collection.

Maybe you never noticed that I began my publishing career as a poet.

Plus, after I finish the upcoming short stories, I’m going to dive back into poetry

Considering the vast range of types of poetry and that poetry and prose can have sex and produce yet more variety, I wonder why so many folks “can’t stand” poetry.

Perhaps I’ve found a poet they might like.

She does what she calls “spoken word” poetry.

Seems to be from a long ancestry of prose/poetry intermarriage.

Seems to ooze significance and effuse meaning and sparkle at the back of the mind and trigger memories of things you haven’t yet done

Her name is Sarah Kay and she’s founded a movement called Project V.O.I.C.E.

She talks about her Project in the video below, after a very cool poem, then goes into a rap about creativity that should be viewed by every writer on the planet.

If you’re not careful (whether you’re a reader, writer, or publisher) she just might inspire you.

Watch this video and get back with me in the comments, ok?

Use this link for more Sarah Kay Poetry :-)

9 responses to “Poetry That Just Might Knock Your Socks Off . . .

1. Simone Benedict February 15, 2012 at 8:19 pm

A list of 10 things I know to be true. How fun. Do you have one Alexander?

• Alexander M Zoltai February 15, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Well, my dear Simone, now that I’m nearly 66 years old, my list of things I know to be true is much longer than ten items :-)

• Simone Benedict February 15, 2012 at 9:27 pm

The only thing I have on my list so far is: #1. My name is Simone…..

I am delighted you will be sharing more of your poetry. Oh! There’s #2 on my list. :-)

• Alexander M Zoltai February 15, 2012 at 9:34 pm

:-)

2. Jane Watson February 16, 2012 at 2:31 am

I am delighted too, Simone. I went back and read the review of Alex’s poetry by Joel Blaine Kirkpatrick and I realized Joel has summed up exactly what I feel about Alex’s poems, each word counts and shows an authentic emotion – it seems that Alex has an internal list and he knows why everything is on the list, which is perhaps why each poetic word is so profound. I’d urge folks who haven’t, to read Joel’s review then read Alex’s poetry to see the list in action;)

3. Alexander M Zoltai February 16, 2012 at 2:57 am

OK, folks, enough about me

What do ya think of Sarah Kay?

4. Jane Watson February 16, 2012 at 3:27 am

I love the way Sarah Kay shows us how being truly authentic with a ‘list’ can open a door for the writer/poet and by doing this our ‘lists’ can have such resonance with others! I think that a poet/writer can often write well if the subject is approached through a neutral word or object, on a list, so that the object can operate like a ‘portkey’ (to borrow from Harry Potter) to your inner world. In this way if you were told to write about your divorce it may be impossible, but if you were asked to write about a Chevrolet,the stories of pain and loss from a broken marriage may come pouring out. Perhaps that is our primary task as writers – to find our lists of true things with their associated objects;)…….

• Alexander M Zoltai February 16, 2012 at 4:11 am

Thank you, Jane, for your penetrating observations of what Sarah offered in the video.

The idea of a “portkey” makes me think of knowing the Name of one’s Muse, or, at least, knowing “where” they “hang out”

Writers are forever naming things and bringing them to life………

5. Pingback: Are Writers Doomed To Be Isolated And Lonely? « Notes from An Alien