7 Reasons Self-Published Authors Know Best

I self-published Notes from An Alien because it’s such a niche novel and deserved to be in readers’ hands sooner rather than later. I didn’t have to go through a long, confusing soul/Internet searching to decide.

I didn’t really learn all the advantages of self-publishing till after my book was published and I was doing regular posts on this blog.

In my scanning of my Google Plus Stream, I clicked-through a link that Mick Rooney shared. The author was Mary Louisa Locke and the blog post was, Why Self-Published Authors Know Best.

There are still reasons to go with a traditional publisher but I doubt any of those will ever apply to me.

I feel traditional publishing houses will still exist in the future but in such a transformed shape that we’ll have to find a new way to classify them.

Go read Mary’s post and then, do please, come back and let me know what you think, ok?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take Part In Our Reader Survey

Get A Free Copy of the book, Notes from An Alien

7 responses to “7 Reasons Self-Published Authors Know Best

1. Simone Benedict August 17, 2011 at 3:56 pm

The post provides a great analysis. Thanks for sharing the link. Personally, at this point I’d still prefer the traditional publishing route, but I agree with you. How traditional publishing has existed will probably change.

• Alexander M Zoltai August 17, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Would love, sometime…, to know why you’d still prefer the traditional route, Simone

• Simone Benedict August 17, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Ha, ha, the reply I’d planned was spectacular, I thought. After thinking it over, the traditional route is also time consuming. Plus, I’ve inadvertantly set myself on the learning curve of self-publishing. My answer is no longer spectacular, sigh. In the end, maybe I’m set in my ways?

• Alexander M Zoltai August 17, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Well, Simone, no matter the route you choose, I’d Love to see you published :-)

2. Selena August 17, 2011 at 7:08 pm

She definitely has a solid argument in favor of self-publishing, and it further supports my own thoughts about it. I like the idea of keeping my hands in the process (i.e. being in control ;0 )from beginning to end. It also forces me to learn and keep up with the marketing and sales processes. I don’t want to lean back on my laurels and wait for someone else to decide when or if my work gets published. Thanks for this post and link.

• Alexander M Zoltai August 17, 2011 at 9:19 pm

You’re very welcome, Selena.

And, yes, the control over the process, including the raising up of your own audience is a definite plus, even if it is time-consuming

3. Pingback: Is it The End for Indies? | :Dandilyon Fluff